Sunday, April 18, 2010

daily text 4/18

Sunday, April 18th, 2010
"A large door that leads to activity has been opened to me." (1 Corinthians 16:9)

Paul's ministry in Ephesus resulted in the spread of the good news. Consider Colossae, Laodicea, and Hierapolis, three cities inland from Ephesus. Paul never visited them, but the good news reached them. Epaphras was from that area. (Colossians 2:1; 4:12, 13) Did Epaphras hear Paul witness in Ephesus and become a Christian? The Bible does not specify. But in spreading the truth in his home area, Epaphras may have represented Paul. (Colossians 1:7) The Christian message may also have reached such cities as Philadelphia, Sardis, and Thyatira during the years Paul was bearing witness in Ephesus. Consequently, the Ephesian elders had ample reason to accept Paul's comment: "I do not make my soul of any account as dear to me, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received of the Lord Jesus, to bear thorough witness to the good news of the undeserved kindness of God."—Acts 20:24.
(Watchtower issue: 12/15/08, 4:8, 9)

Even though I'm not a missionary, I completely relate to what Paul said in that last verse. Arrgh! I wish I didn't have so many health problems!...because I've been feeling a terrible urge to want to pioneer someplace where the need is greater...especially when I watch documentaries about Iraq and Afghanistan and can see how bad those people need to learn the truth about God, and have a hope for the future, (especially the children there).