Saturday, February 13, 2010

daily text 2/13

Saturday, February 13th, 2010
"When anyone wicked bears rule, the people sigh." (Proverbs 29:2)

Under the reign of King David of ancient Israel, people did not sigh. David was not perfect, but he was loyal to God and trusted in him. David’s rulership was not oppressive. Jehovah made a covenant with David, saying: “Your very throne will become one firmly established to time indefinite.” (2 Samuel 7:16) The rulership of David’s son Solomon was initially so peaceful and prosperous that it could rightly foreshadow the future Millennial Reign of Christ Jesus. (Psalm 72:1, 17) Not one of the 12 tribes of Israel back then had reason to revolt. However, the blessings that Solomon and his subjects enjoyed were conditional. Jehovah had told Solomon: “If you will walk in my statutes and perform my judicial decisions and actually keep all my commandments by walking in them, . . . I shall indeed reside in the middle of the sons of Israel, and I shall not leave my people Israel.”—1 Kings 6:11-13.
(Watchtower issue: 8/15/08, 1:3, 4)