Sunday, November 29, 2009

daily text 11/29

Sunday, November 29th, 2009
"If you have bitter jealousy and contentiousness in your hearts, do not be bragging and lying against the truth." (James 3:14)


James wrote very frankly about characteristics that are in direct conflict with godly wisdom. Jealousy and contentiousness are fleshly traits, not spiritual ones. Consider what occurs when fleshly thinking prevails. Six “Christian” groups control parts of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, supposedly built where Jesus was put to death and buried. Their relationship has been one of ongoing contention. In 2006, Time magazine told of an earlier situation when monks there “brawled for hours, . . . clubbing each other with giant candlestick holders.” So great is their distrust of one another that the key to the church is entrusted to a Muslim. Such extreme displays of contentiousness should certainly not be found in the true Christian congregation.
(Watchtower issue: 03/15/08, 4:11, 12)

*when this Watchtower article first came out last year, I remember that excerpt from Time magazine struck me so funny, that I had one of my 'cataplexy' fall-out-of-my-seat-laughing moments...and could not stop for like 5 minutes straight. Good thing I was at home when I first read it, and not at the Kingdom Hall. lol.