Thursday, October 8, 2009

daily text 10/8

Thursday, October 8th, 2009
"This is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments." (1 John 5:3)


An example from pre-Christian times focuses on the right motive for being yielding. Under the Mosaic Law, Hebrews who had become slaves were to be set free in the seventh year of their servitude or in the Jubilee year, whichever came first. But a slave could choose to remain a slave. (Exodus 21:5, 6) What could prompt a slave to do this? Love prompted the slave to remain in that situation, under the authority of his considerate master. In a similar way, our love for Jehovah moves us to dedicate our lives to him and then to live up to our dedication. (Romans 14:7, 8) This love does not look for its own interests. (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5) When we deal with other humans, love of neighbor inclines us to yield and allow them the first place. Instead of allowing selfishness to rule, we consider the interests of others.—Philippians 2:2, 3.
(Watchtower issue: 03/15/08, 1:5, 6)

*Sorry for not posting Wednesday's text. -It seems that yesterday has disappeared on me ... (quite literally)...as I slept through the majority of it. But I get to blame my health insurance company for officially interupting my medication cycle and my bizarro health/sleep issues, since the seasons are changing and Winter is coming on. (or at least my body thinks so, since Phoenix can only boast a 'psuedo-winter' at best. lol) But I swear I go into hibernation mode like a bear on some days during this time of year! Usually it only happens in December/January though...but I'm on a roll now and I refuse to break my daily posting record!!! (unless I'm semi-conscious of course) =)

*By-the-way, it's interesting to note in reference to today's text discussion that the Israelites' 7-year rule which released slaves and fellow Israelites from debt owed (which was such a loving provision on Jehovah's part, and entirely different from the harsh slavery laws of surrounding nations) is similar to our modern-day Bankruptcy law, which also releases a person from debt and clears their record after 7 years. In fact, I've noticed quite a few laws in the American Constitution which seem to have been based on Biblical law.