Wednesday, October 21, 2009

daily text 10/21

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009
"Do not hold back good from those to whom it is owing, when it happens to be in the power of your hand to do it." (Proverbs 3:27)


Positive results have come to many who have witnessed to unbelieving family members, even when it seemed unlikely that these would respond favorably. Take, for example, the case of Joyce, a Christian sister in the United States. Her brother-in-law had been in and out of jail ever since he was a teenager. “People said that his life amounted to nothing,” relates Joyce, “because he dealt in drugs, was a thief, and did a host of other bad things. Even so, against all odds, I kept on sharing Bible truths with him for 37 years.” Her patient efforts to help her relative were richly rewarded when he finally began to study the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses and made drastic changes in his life. Recently, at the age of 50, Joyce’s brother-in-law was baptized. Joyce says: “I cried for joy. I am so happy that I never gave up on him!”
(Watchtower issue: 01/15/08, 3:15, 16)

*wow 37 years... now that's an outstanding example of patient perseverence and hope paying off in the end. Of course ultimately, it's always God who "makes it grow" (1 Corinthians 3:6, 7)...not us. But if we imitate Jehovah and Jesus' example, by viewing life as precious as they do, than it will help us never to give up hope on someone we care about either.

*This reminded me of an amazing story I read (not related to the ministry) but just an awesome example of a person who wouldn't give up trying despite the hopelessness of the situation...I'm gonna look for the story after I finish posting a yearbook experience today, because I remember being so amazed by what this man accomplished.