Wednesday, September 30, 2009

daily text 09/30

Wednesday, September 30th, 2009
"Throw your burden upon Jehovah himself, and he himself will sustain you. Never will he allow the righteous one to totter." (Psalm 55:22)


Some Christians suffer considerable stress because of past experiences in life. Others have phobias—excessive fears of certain situations or objects. For instance, they may be afraid to speak in public or even to attend a meeting. Imagine how hard it is for them to comment at Christian meetings or to give a talk in the Theocratic Ministry School! Yet, they are enduring, and we greatly appreciate their presence and participation. More rest and sleep may help a person to endure emotional difficulties. Medical help may be advisable. Especially effective, however, is prayerful reliance on God. By all means, then, “trust in Jehovah with all your heart.”—Proverbs 3:5, 6.
(Watchtower issue: 07/15/07, 3:5, 7, 8)

*its funny how humans sometimes overlook the 'simple' solutions just because they seem 'too simple' to actually work. I remember when I was going through some of my worst health issues and getting cluster headaches so bad that I seriously prayed to die sometimes, because the pain was so intense and unrelenting that I didn't know how to handle it...Well my grandmother (who was alive at the time) was worried about me, and used to tell me to read the Bible and pray whenever I got a bad headache...and I remember thinking "yah right...ok grandma, sure, whatever you say,...reading the Bible isn't going to help my pain go away, and I can't even concentrate enough to read anything anyway, when my head hurts this much!"

So I pretty much brushed aside her advice. Well later on, during this particularly 'bad' period (some years back, when my medications just weren't 'cutting it' and I used to wish there was a guillotine handy) ...lol =) I recalled what my grandma said. And even though I felt silly and didn't actually believe it was going to help the pain, I decided just to 'honor' her advice, and try it anyway. Well since it was too painful to actually concentrate on reading anything, I just layed down and listened to the audio recording of different chapters in the Bible instead. I started doing that everyday, and the funny thing is, it helped. It didn't cure me, but it helped,...at a time when the other alternatives weren't working.
Now you could attribute that to a number of things, but I personally felt that the biggest reason it helped was because the words I was listening to were 'teaching me' how to "throw my burden on Jehovah" and rely on him more than I ever had previously. -While also teaching me how to not feel so overwhelmed or overly anxious & stressed about what I was experiencing. (since a big part of that stress was due to fear and worry about how I was going to be able to cope with the pain, especially if it got any worse in the future)

So it's not as if reading the Bible and turning to Jehovah in prayer more, was some type of instant 'magical' solution that healed me physically. But rather, it helped me in a different way... it taught me how to deal more effectively with the difficult circumstances life throws at you sometimes. Grandma was right afterall. =)