Monday, September 7, 2009

daily text 09/07

Monday, September 7th, 2009
"Are you feeling jealous for me? No, I wish that all of Jehovah’s people were prophets." (Numbers 11:29)

The Bible tells of individuals who were outstanding in mildness, or meekness. Moses was one. He had great responsibility, yet he is described as “by far the meekest of all the men who were upon the surface of the ground.” (Numbers 12:3) And recall the strength that Jehovah gave Moses to carry out His will. Jehovah was pleased to use mild individuals to fulfill his purpose. Clearly, it is possible for imperfect humans to display the “mildness that belongs to wisdom.” (James 3:13) What about us? How can we improve in showing this quality? Mildness is part of the fruitage of Jehovah’s holy spirit. (Galatians 5:22, 23) We can pray for his spirit and consciously exert effort to display its fruitage, trusting that God will help us to improve in showing mildness. We find solid motivation to do so in the psalmist’s assurance: “[God] will teach the meek ones his way.”—Psalm 25:9.
(Watchtower issue: 03/15/08, 4:7, 8)

*Moses had to have been the meekest person on the planet because sometimes I don't know how he was able to deal with the Israelites for so long... even with Jehovah helping him! You can see why he felt such great frustration by their constant, stubborn denial of Jehovah's ability to provide for them (even though they had been shown plenty of proof). At the account at Numbers 11:11-15, Moses even asked to die rather than have to deal with them, because they were so difficult!

"Then Moses said to Jehovah: “Why have you caused evil to your servant, and why have I not found favor in your eyes, in placing the load of all this people upon me? Have I myself conceived all this people? Is it I who have given them birth, so that you should say to me, ‘Carry them in your bosom, just as the male nurse carries the suckling,’ to the soil about which you swore to their forefathers? From where do I have meat to give to all this people? For they keep weeping toward me, saying, ‘Do give us meat, and let us eat!’ I am not able, I by myself, to carry all this people, because they are too heavy for me. So if this is the way you are doing to me, please kill me off altogether, if I have found favor in your eyes, and let me not look upon my calamity.”

Yet, Jehovah not only eased his burden in a practical way, by having him chose 70 other men to delegate responsibility to, so he wouldn't have to bear the load by himself anymore,...but he also reassured Moses, by emphasizing the fact that there is no lack of power or sustaining ability on his part, when it comes to providing for his people...at Numbers 11:23:

"At this Jehovah said to Moses: “The hand of Jehovah is cut short, is it? Now you will see whether what I say befalls you or not."