Thursday, September 3, 2009

daily text 09/03

Thursday, September 3rd, 2009
"Pay to the Most High your vows." (Psalm 50:14)

The vows exchanged on the wedding day are serious and bring responsibility. (Deuteronomy 23:21) Consider the case of Jephthah, who served as judge in Israel in the 12th century B.C.E. He made this vow to Jehovah: “If you without fail give the sons of Ammon into my hand, it must also occur that the one coming out, who comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the sons of Ammon, must also become Jehovah’s, and I must offer that one up as a burnt offering.” It was his daughter, his only child, who came out to meet him on his return to his home in Mizpah. Jephthah said: “I have opened my mouth to Jehovah, and I am unable to turn back.” (Judges 11:30, 31, 35) Jephthah kept his promise to Jehovah. Jephthah’s vow was of a different sort than wedding vows, but his keeping it serves as a fine example for Christian husbands and wives as to their vows.
(Watchtower issue: 03/15/08, 2:5, 6)