Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Communication - An Essential Element of Friendship

*I'm gonna post a yearbook experience, but I wanted to post this thought first...

My sister and brother-in-law arrived in Minneapolis by-the-way, (in case anyone wanted to know if their flight got in ok), -I had to hear it from my mom since she forgot to tell me once again! (which is a big pet peeve of mine and she knows it) and it's what made me think of the following illustration in regards to communication and prayer, (which I'll get to a minute) after I finish ranting about my sister since she is so bad about communicating information sometimes! She took a trip to Sedona and the Grand Canyon recently and didn't even tell me...she just posted it online with photos after the fact! Which is messed up considering I've told her a hundred times to tell me before she goes out of town (not only because its proper social/family etiquette) but more importantly, so I know where she's at in case an accident or something else were to happen to her. I know I sound like an old lady, but I don't care, those are 'my rules!' lol =)

So onto my illustration...
Just because God knows who a person is by observing them from a distance, doesn't mean that person actually has a relationship with him. It's comparable to looking at a person's website or blog and watching what's going on in their daily life, without ever reaching out and letting them get to know you. They would basically be a stranger who you only know from a distance, because there is no real communication going on. -To take that illustration a step further, even if we do pray about how we feel and what's going on in our life, ... it only progresses to 'communication' when we allow God to respond (which is what we are doing when we read His words and thoughts recorded in the Bible) If we are doing all the talking, but never listening,...then it's just a one-sided relationship. And how can you expect to develop a close bond with someone if you never give them the opportunity to express themselves to you, so that you can get to know them better?
I wanna post these excerpts from chapter 17 in the What Does the Bible Really Teach? book, which sums it up quite nicely...

"Another reason to pray is that regularly praying to Jehovah is a way to strengthen our relationship with him. True friends do not communicate only when they need something. Rather, good friends are interested in each other, and their friendship becomes stronger as they freely express their thoughts, concerns, and feelings. In some respects, the situation is similar when it comes to our relationship with Jehovah God. With the help of this book, you have learned much about what the Bible teaches regarding Jehovah, his personality, and his purposes. You have come to know him as a real person. Prayer gives you the opportunity to express your thoughts and innermost feelings to your heavenly Father. As you do, you draw closer to Jehovah.—James 4:8." ...
"Jehovah God also uses his holy spirit and his Word, the Bible, to answer the prayers of his servants. He may answer our prayers for help to cope with trials by giving us guidance and strength by means of his holy spirit. (2 Corinthians 4:7) Often the answer to our prayers for direction comes from the Bible, where Jehovah gives us help in making wise decisions. Helpful scriptures may be found during our personal Bible study and as we read Christian publications, such as this book. Scriptural points that we need to consider may be brought to our attention by what is said at a Christian meeting or through the comments of a concerned elder in the congregation.—Galatians 6:1."

*so bottomline...don't be like my bratty little sister and her lack of good communication skills!