Saturday, August 15, 2009

daily text 08/15

Saturday, August 15th, 2009
"Remember, now, your Grand Creator in the days of your young manhood." (Ecclesiastes 12:1)

Are you a young dedicated Christian who has finished or is close to finishing your required schooling? Likely, you do not yet have weighty family responsibilities. So, what do you plan to do with your life? What decisions will best enable you to fulfill your promise to do Jehovah's will? Many have organized their affairs in order to pioneer, and they have reaped great joy and satisfaction as a result. (Psalm 110:3) Perhaps you are a young adult. You have a full-time secular job but have few responsibilities except to care for yourself. Have you thought about expanding your share in the ministry? (Psalm 34:8; Proverbs 10:22) In some territories, much work still needs to be done, to reach everybody with the life-giving message of truth. Could you make adjustments in your life, perhaps to serve in an area where the need for Kingdom proclaimers is greater?
(Watchtower issue: 01/15/08, 1:16, 17)

*this is an area which I regret not taking full-advantage of at the time. I wanted to start pioneering right after I graduated and I was all excited about it, (especially because some of my friends in the congregation were planning the same thing). A few of them made plans to move to a territory where the need was greater and some began learning a second language. Well instead of imitating the example of my friends, who actually followed through on their plans (including one who has been actively involved in the ministry up in Northern AZ on the Navajo Indian Reservation since the time we graduated and also spent time in South America, etc), I took the 'half-hearted' approach -vs- just jumping into it 'whole-souled.'
I started working and planning to take some "accelerated" college classes, (telling myself I could pursue both avenues at the same time...or at least get some extra schooling under my belt FIRST and THEN pioneer later). Well before long, I was invested in full-time courses along with a full-time work schedule, and I soon forgot all about my original pioneer plans (which I conveniently pushed to the back of my mind).
Well lo and behold, here I am today, over a decade later, and none of my schooling or career choices really made a bit of difference in my life (other than giving me experience) because my goal has come full circle...right back to the ministry. My main priority is putting the preaching work FIRST, like I should have done all along. All the secular plans and "higher education" goals I had then, mean NOTHING to me anymore, because I can see what a futile waste of time it all is, in comparison with what really matters in life. Don't let anyone talk you out of pursuing the ministry first in your life, if that's what you've set your heart on...because there's nothing more vital, or that will bring you more happiness and satisfaction.