Saturday, July 25, 2009

Have You Ever Wondered?

...why on earth was sheep-shearing time in ancient Israel such a big hootenanny?
The reason I bring this up is because every year about this time, my dog Toby, who is a Siberian Husky, has his annual summer 'fur-shedding fest' and the layers upon layers of fur that come off when I brush him, makes me think of all the effort it must take to shear a sheep! I decided to take photos this time before I sweep up. Just look at this big mess! =)



(it looks smaller in the photo but that pile is almost 2x2' wide and about a foot high! AND thats just ROUND ONE! It'll be a few more grooming sessions before I get all his undercoat off!)


(closeup of Toby)

(outside in the yard)

(being attacked by my 'fearless' Miniature Schnauzer, Sasha. - hahaha, I love this photo)
so back to the original question... I got curious and decided to look up sheep-shearing. This is what the Insight on the Scriptures (Vol 2, pg 916) said:
"The time for shearing the sheep was looked forward to with anticipation, as it was much like a harvest. Feasting and rejoicing attended the event." And some scriptural references were mentioned also: (1 Samuel 25:2, 11, 36; 2 Samuel 13:23, 24, 28)
Plus "sheep's wool furnished the fiber for what was probably the most common material for clothing (Job 31:20; Proverbs 27:26)" So maybe it was also the time of year when everyone got "new editions" to their wardrobe, and you know that would get all the women excited! lol.
So there you have it.