Thursday, June 25, 2009

daily text 06/25

*sorry for posting the text so late today =( I'll finish my other post later, because I found the biggest stash of old pictures which I wanna look through first. yay I love old photos!

Thursday, June 25th, 2009
"Observe, O my son, the commandment of your father, and do not forsake the law of your mother." (Proverbs 6:20)

Certainly, children should obey their parents. But open communication gives parents the opportunity to help their children develop reasoning ability. Vincent, a father of four, says: "Often, we would talk through the advantages and disadvantages of a situation so that our children could see for themselves the best outcome. This helped them develop thinking ability." (Proverbs 1:1-4) Of course, no parent will be able to apply perfectly the Bible's counsel on child rearing. Even so, you can be sure that your children will deeply appreciate your attempts to train them in a long-suffering, kind, and loving manner. Jehovah will certainly bless your efforts to do so. (Proverbs 3:33) Ultimately, all Christian parents want their children to learn to love Jehovah as much as they themselves do.
(Watchtower issue: 09/01/07, 1:16, 17)

*FYI - the #1 most effective discipline my parents ever administered to me, is probably the one thing they don't even remember doing, and I bet alot of parents overlook this. Do you remember the little pink book which was replaced by the "Learn From the Great Teacher" book? Well when I was old enough to read, whenever I did something bad my parents would send me to my room "to think about what I did" but they would also pick out a corresponding story in the Great Teacher book and tell me I needed to read it & think about the lesson in regards to what I had done wrong, before I could come out. Then one of them would ask me questions about the lesson to make sure I read it. That probably had a greater impact than just about anything else they ever did to discipline me, because the counsel wasn't just coming from them...it was coming from a higher authority. If you're a parent you've gotta try it, because I know it works! Even if your kids don't respond well at first, or act up & don't wanna participate or read the lesson, keep trying anyway. I know I gave my parents a hard time about it and acted like a brat by answering all their questions with "I don't know" or some other smart alec remark. But then later on, when I was alone with my thoughts, I would remember what I had read and it had a big impact on my thinking and in learning to distinguish right from wrong. Trust me on this! (Plus now its even easier since kids can listen to the audio version instead of trying to get them to read the lesson.)