Monday, May 25, 2009

Leopold Engleitner part 1

Since I didn't get to go see Leopold Engleitner speak at the Holocaust Museum last night =(
-I'm posting a recent clip with a little bit more info in regards to what he went through.
Like it said he was starved down to 54 pounds! and kicked so hard by a Nazi in the groin that he could never have children after that.
The clip also mentioned something else I didn't know...How during the Spanish Influenza, he actually caught the flu virus and lived through that too! Pretty amazing man.

VIDEO NEWS CLIP

'UNBROKEN WILL' WEBSITE

here's an excerpt from his lifestory
"Though Weak I Am Powerful"
which appeared in the 05/01/05 Watchtower:
(he was quite a trooper even prior to his concentration camp time!)

"I was born on July 23, 1905, in the town of Aigen-Voglhub, nestled in the Austrian Alps. I was the eldest son of a sawmill worker and a local farmer’s daughter. My parents were poor but hardworking people. My early years were spent in Bad Ischl, near Salzburg, amid scenic lakes and breathtaking summits.
As a child, I would often muse about life’s injustices, not only because my family was poor but also because I suffered from congenital curvature of the spine. The backache caused by this disorder made it almost impossible for me to stand erect. At school, I was barred from gymnastics and thus became a target of ridicule among my classmates.
At the end of World War I, just shy of the age of 14, I decided that it was time to look for a job in order to escape poverty. Gnawing hunger was my constant companion, and I was weakened by bouts of high fever caused by the Spanish flu, which had sent millions to the grave. “What use could we possibly have for a weakling like you?” is how most farmers reacted to my request for work. However, one kind farmer did hire me.

Even though Mother was a devout Catholic, I rarely went to church, mainly because my father had liberal views on the matter. As for me, I was disturbed by the worship of images, so widely practiced in the Roman Catholic Church.
One day in October 1931, a friend asked me to accompany him to a religious meeting sponsored by the Bible Students, as Jehovah’s Witnesses were then known. There, I was given Bible answers to important questions, such as: Is image worship pleasing to God? (Exodus 20:4, 5) Is there a fiery hell? (Ecclesiastes 9:5) Will the dead be resurrected? (John 5:28, 29)
What most impressed me was the fact that God does not condone man’s bloodthirsty wars, even if they are said to be fought in His name. I learned that “God is love” and that he has an exalted name, Jehovah. (1 John 4:8; Psalm 83:18) I was thrilled to find out that by means of Jehovah’s Kingdom, humans will be able to live forever in happiness in an earth-wide paradise. I also learned of the marvelous prospect open to some imperfect humans who have been called by God to share with Jesus in God’s heavenly Kingdom. I was prepared to give my all for that Kingdom. So in May 1932, I was baptized and became one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. That step required courage, considering the religious intolerance prevailing in the strictly Catholic Austria of the time."


*I'll finish up the 2nd half tomorrow -about his ministry experiences leading up to when Hitler's troops invaded Austria