Friday, May 29, 2009

daily text 05/29

Friday, May 29th, 2009
"I set the pattern for you, that, just as I did to you, you should do also."
(John 13:15)

Jesus set the example for parents in that he practiced what he preached. In order to motivate their children to love Jehovah, the parents’ words and actions must work together. (1 John 3:18) Why is parental example so important? Just as adults can learn to love God by looking at Jesus’ example, children can learn to love Jehovah by following their parents’ good example. A child’s associates can either strengthen the child or “spoil useful habits.” (1 Corinthians 15:33) For much of a child’s life, and certainly during the important formative years, the closest, most influential associates a child has are his parents. Therefore, parents do well to ask themselves: ‘What sort of associate am I? Does my example encourage my child to develop useful habits? What example am I setting in the vital areas of prayer and Bible study?’
(Watchtower issue: 09/01/07, 2:3, 4)